Tuesday, January 5, 2010

January 6, 2010 - Isaiah 50:4,5

"The Lord God has given me
the tongue of a teacher,
that I may know how to sustain
the weary with a word.
Morning by morning He wakens -
wakens my ear
to listen as those who are taught.
The Lord God has opned my ear,
and I was not rebellious.
I did not turn backward."

Oh my. I see myself in this verse. I've always loved teaching, and every time I stand in front of a Weight Watcher meeting I am fully aware that my words carry a tremendous lot of power to people who are hurting. I know the feeling well. I know how it is to be sick and tired of being sick and tired. I know how it is to have to hold your breath to tie your shoes. I know how it is to not be able to walk the dogs more than a block without having to stop. I know all those things, and I am grateful to God that He brought me to Weight Watchers.

And now He has put me in the position of teacher. In my capacity as a leader, I am always keenly aware that my words can make all the difference to someone who is struggling. It is an awesome responsibility, and it is only with God's help that I am able to stand before others to tell my experience, strength and hope, and to "pay it forward."

I pray God continues to give me the right words to say for each meeting. I pray that He helps me give rest to the weary, and hope to the hopeless, and encouragement to those who need it. Freely I was given, so freely I give. For me, Weight Watchers is not just a "job;" it is a ministry. And I thank God every day for this opportunity, and pray that I will always open my ears to His leading.

No comments:

Post a Comment