Saturday, January 2, 2010

January 2, 2010 - Joel

Last night the Lord led me to the book of Joel. Joel is located in the Old Testament and tells the story of agricultural calamity in the form of locusts. Joel calls on the people to repent of their sins, insisting that the "Day of the Lord" is at hand.

My "locust year" was 2009. It began last January with the death of our beloved dog Dorothy. A dear friend in Arkansas also passed last January. At work, I had to take a 2% pay cut. And in November, of course, Chip passed away. As in most years, of course, there was good along with the bad. I finished losing the weight I wanted to lose and became a Weight Watcher leader. Valentino came to join the household.

Parts of Joel are difficult to read. There is a lot of pain and anguish and "repent you sinners!" But Joel also contains some of the most hopeful passages in the Old Testament.

"Return to the Lord, your God, for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love..." "Do not fear...be glad and rejoice, for the Lord has done a great thing! Do not fear...for the pastures of the wilderness are green."

But my favorite passage is this:

"I will repay you for the years that the swarming locus has eaten, the hopper, the destroyer, and the cutter, my great army, which I sent against you. You shall eat in plenty and be satisfied, and praise the name of the Lord your God, who has dealt wondrously with you."

I claim God's promise, that He will take care of me; that my pastures will be green. And in good times or bad, I will praise the name of the Lord my God, who has indeed dealt wondrously with me. He continues to provide for me; people continue to be kind to me; I am blessed every day with those who love me. It has been my experience throughout my life that most people will be as kind as you give them opportunity to be. I think deep in the heart of every human being is the capacity for love, for generousity, for kindness. Oh yes, sometimes it's pretty well hidden. Life experiences can make people shut down, become mean. But the capacity for kindness is still there.

Blessings to you today, and may 2010 be the year of blessing for all of us.

1 comment: