Thursday, January 21, 2010

January 21, 2010 - The Wisdom of Solomon 1:12-15

"Do not invite death by the error of your life,
or bring on destruction by the works of your hands;
because God did not make death,
and He does not delight in the death
of the living.
For He created all things so that they might exist;
the generative forces of the world are wholesome,
and there is no destructive poison in them,
and the dominion of Hades is not on earth.
For righeousness is immortal."

I find this passage to be a bit troubling, but only the part about God not creating death. If God created everything, then He created death too. But outside of that the wisdom contained here is profound.

Our folly, our errors, the stupid choices we sometimes make with our lives can easily bring about our own destruction. And sometimes we do everything right, but we all die anyway. Death is as much a part of life as birth. It's just the other end.

I believe God created us to live; I mean to REALLY live, not just slog though every day as if the only purpose in life was to go to work, come home, eat dinner, watch tv and go to bed. My friends, there IS more to life than that! How easily we fall into that routine! Myself included, I'm afraid.

So, I ask myself...what does "really living" mean to me? The past five years or so of my life hae revolved around my husband's illness. Doctors, chemo, surgery, caring for him, hospitals. And now that that part of my life has ended, I find myself at loose ends. What do I do with my life now? Especially since I'm now "financially challenged." What does God have in store for me now? What's my next move? What do I do now? What form will "really living" take for me?

1 comment:

  1. Interesting thing about your devotion today. I have been praying and thinking so much about that for myself. Now that the house is done, and I'm all unpacked. . . . what will I 'do' now? I feel a bit out of sorts because I am not working, and there's no more major work to do on the house. I keep asking God what I'm supposed to be doing at this time and what will my life look like here. For now, I feel like He is allowing me to rest. My hip has healed 100% and so has my tendonitis in my arm, because I've rested. Maybe next month . . . who knows, perhaps a job will come my way. I've gotten 2 rejections from Simpson already, so I will continue to rest, read, write, photograph, feed my birds and pray.

    ReplyDelete