Sunday, January 3, 2010

January 3, 2010 - Baruch 3:14

Baruch is one of the Apocryphal books of the Bible and is found in Catholic Bibles in the Old Testament. Baruch was the secretary of the prophet Jeremiah. It relates a pattern common to the Bible - the people and their leaders sin, and God sends a prophet to bring them back. Baruch 3:14 is as follows:

Learn where there is wisdom,
where there is strngth,
where there is understanding,
so that you may at the same time
discern
where there is length of days, and
life,
where there is light for the eyes,
and peace.

Perhaps this passage speaks to me today because my grief is still so raw. The world's "wisdom" claws at me with conflicting messages. God's wisdom, however, is the wisdom that brings me light and peace. It is in reading God's word that I find true wisdom, strength and understanding.

Now, I'm the first to confess that sometimes (often!) I do not understand exactly what God is trying to tell me. God's message in His word often seems contradictory, with one passage saying something entirely different from another. But even with that, I hold on to the promise that God's word does not lie. If my understanding is faulty, then I need to pray for more understanding, recoginizing that understanding, wisdom and strength are given in God's good time, not mine.

So, today, as I enjoy this last day of "vacation," and as I go about doing the things I need to do today, I shall set my subconscious mind to "work," as I ponder this passage, and let it's truth dip into my soul, as my toe might dip into a refreshing stream. Light and peace...God's promise to me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment