Wednesday, February 3, 2010

February 3, 2010 - James 2:17

"So faith by itself, if it has no works, is dead."

Once again I am totally immersed in a book I've read more times than I can count. This is one of those rare books of which I can truly say, "It changed my life." If I were stuck on a desert island, this is the book I'd want with me.

The book is titled "The Peaceable Kingdom" by Jan de Hartog. It is many years out of print now, but if you can find one in a used book store or at the library, I highly recommend it. Historical fiction, but based on fact, "The Peaceable Kingdom" is the story of how the Quakers got started. The beginning of the book details some of the life of George Fox, yes, but more than that it chronicles the life of Margaret Fell, with whom I identify.

At one point in the book, Margaret Fells' husband, in a desparate attempt to show her where her fascination with the Quakers will lead, takes her on a tour of the worst hell hole in all of England, the dungeons of Lancaster Castle. Children, huddled deep in the bowels of the castle, are particularly disturbing. Margaret runs to Fox, demanding an answer. How can a loving God allow such things to happen?

Fox's answer cuts to the chase, and has stayed in my heart for years. "Stop crying for proof of God's love! Prove it thyself! How else dost thou think He can manifest His love? Through nature? Through the trees, the clouds,the beasts in the field,the stars? No, only through beings capable of doing so: ourselves. In the case of those children in the cage, about to be hanged, it is thou He touched. All He has to reach those children is thee!"

Does not James say the same thing in this passage? All He has to change the world is thee, and me. How many times a day does God whisper in our ear..."All I have is thee..." It is so damnably easy to ignore His voice. After all, what can I do? I'm just one tiny person. I can't possibly make a difference. Right?

Margaret informs her husband that she has to try and save the children. She must go to Lancaster Castle and do what she can. Her husband is aghast. He tries to persuade her not to go. Listen to this next passage:

"In a last effort to save her from herself...[he said] 'I am yearning for the day when this will no longer be necessary, when people will look back on the gallows in Lancaster Castle and say...'
She looked in his eyes with a strange new tenderness, "Tom, love, doesn't thou see? That time is now."
"But, sweeting-"
"The moment thy conscience tells thee something is wrong, that is the time to stop it."
"Oh, Margaret...!"
He tried to escape, but she held on to him. "That is why I must go! I must!"
"To do what?"
"To endure with those children what they are enduring. To bring to them the physical presence of one who cares. To bring their plight, by the fact of my presence, to the attention of those in power. It is the only way to save them."

Oh, Margaret...foolish, fool-hardy, brave Margaret. I wish I had that kind of conviction, that kind of strength. The Quakers call this "being in the power of the Lord." I've been in the power of the Lord a few times in my life. When it happens to you, the feeling is unmistakable.

So, I ask, what is God calling me to do today? Where will He lead me? And more importantly, will I answer? Will I be a "Margaret" today? Do I have the strength? "I can do all things through Christ, Who strengthens me." Pray, Lord, when You call, let me answer with "Here I am, Lord. Send me."

No comments:

Post a Comment