Thursday, February 25, 2010

February 25, 2010 - Isaiah 58:13,14 - The Sabbath

"If you refrain from trampling the sabbath,
from pursuing your own interests on my holy day;
if you call the sabbath a delight and the holy day of the Lord honorable;
if you honor it, not going your own ways,
serving your own interests, or pursuing your own affairs;
then you shall take delight in the Lord,
and I will make you ride upon the heights of the earth;
I will feed you with the heritage of your ancestor Jacob,
for the mouth of the Lord has spoken."

I cannot tell you how difficult this one is for me. I work. I work six days a week at my regular job, as a Weight Watcher leader, as a wedding officiant and quiltmaker. When my husband died, he left me with nothing, and his income died with him, so I am left to fend for myself. It's not easy. So taking the sabbath "off" is very, very difficult. Last Sunday I met a couple at Borders to discuss their wedding. I guess that was pursuing my own interests.

And yet...this isn't the first time God talks about the Sabbath, is it? Remember the Ten Commandments? "Remember the Sabbath Day and keep it holy." Just how does one keep the sabbath holy when it's your only day to do laundry and go grocery shopping and clean house?

Back when these words were written, things weren't easy either. God knows these things need to be done. How much time do I waste sitting in front of the computer or sleeping in front of the tv? I come home from work, eat dinner, check my e-mail and do some office work, sit in the chair to relax and watch a little tv and fall asleep during Jeopardy. Wake up and go to bed. I'm exhausted just trying to keep my head above water.

Maybe there's something to this sabbath thing after all. If I took a day every week, if I were actually able to keep my sabbath holy, how would that effect the rest of my week? Would a real day of rest give me more energy during the rest of the week? What effect would a day of really concentrating on God do in my life?

And what exactly does keeping the Sabbath holy look like? Is it as strict as not turning on a light switch because that could be considered work? Or not cooking? Or does it have more to do with the silence of the heart? Making the space to attend church, to sit in silence before the Lord. To listen for His voice, let His love surround me? To not (gasp!) even turn on the computer that day?????? Perhaps it's time for me to find out...

No comments:

Post a Comment