Friday, February 26, 2010

February 26, 2010 - Romans 14:13-15 "Stumbling Blocks"

"Let us therfore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another. I know and am persuaded in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself; but it is unclean for anyone who thinks it unclean. If your brother or sister is being injured by what you eat, you are no longer walking in love. Do not let what you eat cause the ruin of one for whom Christ died."

Perhaps this passage speaks to me because I have battled being overweight for most of my life. Now that I've lost the weight and am a Weight Watcher leader, I tend to take this passage very literally.

But, as with most Scripture, I think there's more to it than what skims the surface. But, let's take surface stuff first. Hallowe'en. I don't celebrate Hallowe'en; I will not celebrate the devil's holiday. And I do not eat Hallowe'en candy, as I see it as food offered to idols. Do I LIKE Hallowe'en candy? Sure! But I don't eat it. For me, it is unclean. I don't take part in Hallowe'en celebrations at work. I usually take the day off.

If I bring donuts to work, is that putting a stumbling block in the path of those who are watching their weight? If I decide to go out to dinner, do I choose a place with healthy food or do I go to a pizza place? If I bring unhealthy choices into my house, am I not placing a stumbling block in my own path?

But this Scripture is about more than food I think. There is a lot of "uncleanness" in this world. Things I see as unclean, perhaps you may see nothing wrong with. I work with someone who shows an inordinate amount of cleavage that I think is inappropriate for the workplace. I see no reason to share half your bosom with the world. For me, such a display is unclean. For her, it's not.

I know a lot of people for whom certain television shows are simply entertainment, while I wouldn't allow them in my house. The Real Housewives of Orange County, for example (I guess that's what it's called), is not something I would watch. For me, it's unclean. But apparently, for a lot of people, it's not.

I would encourage you today to look at your environment and see just what sort of uncleanness is in your house and in your life. We've all got something. Whether its food or a tv show or clothing or whatever, idenitify it, and then get rid of it. You might be surprised at what happens to your Spirit when you get rid of things that weigh it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment