Tuesday, February 9, 2010

February 9, 2010 - Nahum 1:7

Here's an interesting passage - especially since a preceeding passage seems to say something else...sort of.

"The Lord is good, a stronghold in a day of trouble;
He protects those who take refuge in him, even in a rushing flood."

What's interesting is that just a few verses earlier we read that "...the Lord is avenging and wrathful." Personally, I find it difficult to reconcile the two.

The whole book of Nahum is a study in contrast. We read "Look! On the mountains the feet of one who brings good tidings, who proclaims peace!" And in another we read "Devastation, desolation, and destruction!"

In my Catholic Women's Study Bible there is a passage by Kathleen Norris about God's Jealousy. She helps to put this into perspective for me. it is difficult for me to imagine a God with such a seemingly petty emotion as jealousy. We are His and His alone; why on earth would He be jealous? Of the world? Of His own creation?

Norris says that the word "jealous" comes from the word "zealous," and denotes extreme enthusiam and devotion. Now, that makes more sense. God is zealous for us. He wants us, ALL of us, ALL the time, not just the parts left over at the end of the day. He wants us to consult Him, to love Him, to be AWARE of Him every moment. He wants our undivided attention.

Am I there yet? Not by a long shot. But every morning that I can sit down at this computer and open my Bible and say, "OK, God, whatcha got for me today?" I perhaps get the tiniest bit closer. I often ponder throughout the day what I've read that morning. The passage comes to me as I'm working at my job; I think about it while I'm piecing together a quilt or watching tv. There's a part of my brain that is still thinking about God and what He's doing in my life. And that is a very great blessing.

I'm glad God is zealous for me. I'm glad that He wants me; that He knows I am but dust, and imperfect and sometimes a real jerk, but that He loves me anyway. I'm glad that God is the God of second chances, and thirds, and fourths and more. I'm glad God didn't give up on me when I seeemd to give up on Him. I'm glad that God continues to lead me and guide me throughout my days, even when I feel blind and foolish. I'm glad God loves me, because I know in my heart of hearts that God's love will never die, and when this earthly shell is no more, I will dance with Him in Heaven. God IS good.

No comments:

Post a Comment