Thursday, September 23, 2010

September 23, 2010 - 1 Timothy 6:20

"...guard what has been entrusted to you."

In this verse, I don't think Paul is talking so much about worldly possessions as he is about the things that matter. Worldly possessions pass away; they wear out, or cease to be useful, become outdated. We need to guard those things in our life that truly matter - our families, our friends, our loved ones, our pets.

I had a conversation last night with the owner of a no-kill sanctuary in Arizona. I applied for a caretakers position that does not pay a salary, but does provide a rent-free apartment and utilities. One of the things that attracts me is not only the work, but that I can bring my dogs. I told Moe (the owner) that I'd rather sleep in my car under a bridge than take my dogs to a shelter. My dogs will be welcome there. I need to guard that which God has given me; in this case, my dogs.

When our children are small, we guard them too (or should). We need to guard our relationships with our significant others, our relatives, our friends. These are the things that matter in the long run. But mostly, we need to guard our relationship with God, for that matters most of all. Proverbs 4:23 says
"Guard your heart above all else,for it determines the course of your life."

Blessings, Phoenix
posted by Phoenix MaryGrace Hocking @ 8:50 AM 0 comments

No comments:

Post a Comment