Monday, May 24, 2010

May 24, 2010 - Matthew 12:36,37

Jesus says: "I tell you, on the day of judgment you will have to give an account for every careless word you utter; for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned."

Ouch. That's harsh. How many careless words do I utter just in the course of a single day? Horsing around at work, chatting with friends, voicing my oh-so-important opinion on the state of the world, or politics, or the latest gossip about some Hollywood type or other. If all I ever spoke were words of wisdom and truth and encouragement...well, I guess I'd be quiet most of the time.

And maybe that's the point. I suppose God gave us two ears and one mouth for a reason - maybe so that we could listen twice as much as we talk!

What would it be like, just for today, if I watched every word that came out of my mouth? What if I made sure that the only things I said were words of truth, and love, and encouragement? What is all that I said honored God in some way? How would my day go?

Maybe I'll try and find out. Though, I suspect, it's a lot easier said than done. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment