Sunday, May 2, 2010

May 2, 2010 - Genesis 2:18, 21-23

"Then the Lord God said, 'It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper as his partner. The Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, He took one of the man's ribs, and closed up the place with flesh. Then the Lord God formed a woman from the rib He had taken out of the man, and brought her to him. The man siad, 'This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called Woman, for she was taken out of Man.'"

Woman was made of a rib out of the side of Man.
She was not created from Man's head to rule over him,
nor from his feet to be trampled upon by him.
Indeed, woman was taken from his side, to be equal with him;
under his arm, to be protected;
and near his heart, to be loved.

God ordained that man (and woman) should have a helper in their lives. I figure He knew what He was doing. It's not easy to be alone, especially when one has shared one's life with someone else for many years.

All throughout the Bible, God talks about our interconnectedness with others. We are not meant to be hermits. We are meant for relationship with one another. We are meant to share our lives, share our stories, share our every days with someone else.

I have heard other widows say, "I don't NEED a man in my life." I get that. I'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself, thank you. But there is something missing. Perhaps its a sense of "belonging." A sense that one matters to another human being in a way that is special.

How does it start? With friendship. A person can never have too many friends, I figure. And if that friendship leads somewhere...well, that's in God's hands. All I know is that I'm open to whatever friends God wants to put in my life.

All I ask, Lord, is that You lead me, guide me, take my hand and protect me. Let me be a friend to those who need a friend. Let me be open to whatever You have planned for me at this stage of my life. In all my dealings with people, be they family, friends, co-workers or total strangers, Lord, let me be open, honest, and direct. Keep me pure, Lord, and keep my integrity intact. Let me reflect YOUR love to all whom You place in my path. Let me be open to YOU. I pray this in Jesus' name, Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment