Tuesday, March 30, 2010

March 30, 2010 - Job 12:7-12 "Talk to the animals"

"But ask the animals, and they will teach you;
the birds of the air, and they will tell you;
ask the plants of the earth, and they will teach you;
and the fish of the sea will declare to you.
Who among all these does not know that the hand of the Lord has done this?
In his hand is the life of every living thing,
and the breath of every human being.
Does not the ear test words as the palate tastes food?
is wisdom with the aged, and understanding in length of days?"

I learn so much from the four-legged creatures who share my home. Jasper is a Beagle/Jack Russell male, and Valentino is a Chihuahua/terrier mix. They couldn't be more different, but they are alike in one thing - they both think I'm the greatest thing since chicken. (I would have said kibble, but they like chicken better!)

Jasper is a very patient dog. He's older now, about 8 years old, and starting to slow down just a touch. He puts up with Valentino, who is only a little over a year and so has LOTS of energy. They will play together, but sometimes Jasper will just stand still and let Valentino run all around him. Tino will just pester and pester and pester until Jasper either gives in and plays, or else lets him know in no uncertain terms he's not interested. Both dogs know exactly where they stand with each other at all times.

Both Jasper and Tino are lovers with people and doggie friends they know. Tino likes to cuddle at night; Jasper usually comes and joins us in bed about 2:00 in the morning, bless his heart. They are absolutely loyal and loving creatures and ask nothing more than a little food, a little water, a yard to play and do their business in, and a whole lot of love. Their needs and wants are so simple. I can learn a lot from them, about life.

The Bible tells us not to worry about tomorrow - tomorrow will take care of itself, and when I look at my dogs, I know they take that to heart. They don't know what tomorrow will bring, and they don't care. All they care about is now. Whether its being curled up on the couch or in my lap, or at dinner time, or just hanging out on the front porch, all there is is NOW.

Of course, their lives would be different if somebody wasn't taking care of future needs. I go to work, pay the bills, keep food on the table and in the bowls on the floor. And they're perfectly content for it to be so.

Am I so different? Do I rely one hundred percent on the bounty of my Master? Do I trust Him to take care of me? Do I allow myself to rest completely in His arms? Do I curl up with Him at the end of the day, knowing that just being with Him is enough for me?

Thank You, Lord, for the blessing of my critters. I would have more, if I could, but these two are enough. Thank You for their love and their companionship and their loyalty. I am so very blessed...thank You, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment