Wednesday, March 10, 2010

March 10, 2010 - Philippians 2:3-5 "Humility"

"Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility regard others as better than yourselves. Let each of you look not to your own interests, but to the interests of others. Let the same mind be in you that was in Christ Jesus."

It always amazes me that when I go to the Bible to write something for this blog God always manages to hit me right where I live. Been going through a rough patch lately (details of which are not important)and discovered that one of my (many!) character defects is that I have a tough time letting go.

Real or perceived wrongs or slights or injustices hang around my neck and weigh me down. I come back to them over and over again, worry them like a tongue worries a bad tooth. I give them over to God, only to snatch them back and worry some more. Why on earth do I do that? How silly!

I definitely do not consider myself a humble person. Nope. Way too much pride in this girl. I can be very selfish, and want my own way, and obsess over the issue if I think I've been treated unfairly. Letting it go, and letting God work is something I need to work on.

I tend to worry things to death, and play things over and over in my mind, bury the issue only to exhume it later and worry it some more. So, yesterday, on my afternoon walk, I made a stab at letting stuff go. I mean, really letting it go. It came to me that all this drama is just stuff, just life, just one more day in the life of Phoenix Hocking. It's not eternally important. It's not important now; it won't be important later. And if it doesn't count where it counts, namely for eternity, then there's no need to let any issue waste my time and energy.

So, today (and probably every day!) I plan to make a concerted effort to let things go, and let God work. How about you?

1 comment:

  1. I saw a quote one time on a gas station marquis, I've never forgotten it, but have yet been able to apply it to my life. "When you bury the hatchet, don't mark the grave."

    ReplyDelete