Friday, October 8, 2010

October 8, 2010 - 2 Esdras 2:20-24

From the Apocryphal book of 2 Esdras. God is speaking to the church He calls "mother."

"Guard the rights of the widow, secure justice for the ward, give to the needy, defend the orphan, clothe the naked, care for the injured and the weak, do not ridicule the lame, protect the maimed, and let the blind have a vision of My splendor. Protect the old and the young within your walls. When you find any who are dad, commit them to the grave and mark it, and I will give you the first place in My resurrection. Pause and be quiet, My people, because your rest will come."

I do love the Apocrypha. The Protestant politics that pulled these books out of the Bible made the Word of God so much less. This passage is tucked within other exhortations about doing good works and how the church is to treat its people. God calls the church "Mother" and "Father," as an example of how we are to act towards each other. But I believe He is also calling upon physical mothers and fathers to treat their children with respect, and to love and nurture them.

As I read this I am again reminded that Jesus Himself was very familiar with the books that we call the Apocrypha. He studied them, knew them, drew his own teachings from them. Does this passage not sound suspiciously like Psalm 146:9? (Look it up!)

Throughout the Bible are numerous references to widows and orphans as being especially in need of protection and care. In Biblical days, both were completely without power and at the mercy of the communities in which they lived. While widows have a slightly better time in this modern day, children are still and always will be in need of protection and care from those around them.

I like the final passage here, because once again God reminds us to "Be still and know that I am God." He's saying, Don't sweat the small stuff. I got it covered. Don't get your knickers in a twist or your panties in a bunch. I'm God, not you...remember?

Blessings, Phoenix

No comments:

Post a Comment