Sunday, April 11, 2010

April 11, 2010 - John 20:24,25 "Doubting Thomas"

Here's the "backstory:" Jesus was crucified, died and was buried. He rose from the dead on the third day. He was seen by the women and also by some of the apostles. "But Thomas, (who was called the Twin) one of twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. So the other disciples told him, "We have seen the Lord." But he said to them, "Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands, and put my finger in the mark of the nails and my hand in his side, I will not believe."

Poor Thomas. He kind of gets the short end of the stick, doesn't he? I figure Thomas must have been from Missouri (the "Show Me" state)! I have to tell you that I identify with Thomas...a lot. I too, while not exactly doubting, had to be shown the Lord before I became a believer. For some of you, the following account of how I came to Christ may be something you've already heard. For others, it will be new.

This is what happened:

On May 16, 1996, my life changed forever.
I had a dream, and in my dream I was standing on a hillside, green and lush and beautiful. There were animals of every description, giraffes and lions and lambs and dogs and cats, just every living creature known to man was there, all peacefully being together. In the distance, I could see a man that I knew was Jesus. He was dressed in a white garment, and had sandals on His feet. He was making His way towards me, but would stop to talk to other people along the way. And as He spoke with them, their expressions would just be filled with light. In my dream, I knew He was saving me for last, and when He finally came to me, He put His arm around me and looked deep into my eyes. There was such love and acceptance and joy in those eyes. He saw everything there was to know about me, all the horrible things that had happened to me, and all the lousy things I’d done in my life. And He loved me anyway. Then He asked, “Will you follow Me?” And I said, “Yes! I will follow You anywhere!” I remember we talked for a while afterwards, but my conscious mind doesn’t recall what was said. I believe my soul knows exactly what was said, and it shines in my heart to this day. All I knew when I woke up was that Jesus was REAL, and that threw everything I thought I knew about God into utter turmoil.


It's been a journey since then - a journey of ups and downs and wonderings and questions and lots and lots of prayer. How many of us, I wonder, know about Jesus, we worship Him in church, sing songs to and about Him, praise Him even...but do we really KNOW Him? Has Jesus looked into your eyes and said "Follow Me?" Maybe that's what needs to happen before we can truly say we are a Christian. I'm not suggesting everyone needs an experience such as mine. I think I was so far gone, He had to come get me Himself. Maybe its that way for all of us. In whatever way He came for you, did you say "yes?"

So I say, let's ease up on Thomas....perhaps he's not so different from you and me after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment